3 or 4 reasons to vote for this video (Twilight fan or not)
So 100 Monkeys frontman, Jackson Rathbone, is a Twilight heartthrob who quotes Charles Bukowski and looks good (ok, really good) behind a guitar. If that’s reason enough for you to vote for this video in the Webby’s People’s Voice category, so be it.
For those of you who need a little more prodding, however, consider this:
Three more reasons to vote for this video
1. Uncle Larry: Growing up in Chicago in the 1950s, did Uncle Larry (percussion, flute… everything) ever envision achieving internet stardom? Probably not. Does that mean he should be deprived of this honor? Heck no! A vote for 100 Monkeys is a vote for Uncle Larry.
2. It’s all about the fans: Ben Graupner, (keys, guitar, bass, drums, percussion, trumpet, vocals) has a lot of love for those the band has inspired, and he says so in the clip: “One thing I know we’re all really proud of is when our fans are starting bands and making music and they give us copies of their CDs,” he says. A vote for 100 Monkeys is a vote for keepin’ it real.
3. Artists need distributors (and that’s where we come in): Jerad Anderson (bass, drums, keys, backup vocals) says, “We definitely are all about it… Get your music out there, and it makes people happy, and if you can monetize it and keep making music, it’s awesome.” What good is great music if no one can hear it? Getty Images Music is honored to support 100 Monkeys — a Getty Images Music GUESTLIST artist — and a slew of other fantastic musicians, so they can continue to do what they do best.
Still need convincing? Watch the clip yourself, then click here to vote. In addition to our undying appreciation, you will be able to count us among your biggest fans.
Thank you in advance! And many thanks to everyone who contributed to this piece. All the content in the video is from Getty Images or our contributors; this video was produced and shot by our (extremely talented) partner Uncensored Interview. Now get voting!
What are the Webby Awards? The Webby Awards is the Internet’s most respected symbol of success. The 16th Annual Webby Awards received nearly 10,000 entries from all 50 US states and over 60 countries worldwide. Winners are chosen by the International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences a global organization whose newest members include CEO of Skype, Tony Bates, shft.com co-founder Adrian Grenier, CEO of Rovio Mikael Hed, and co-founder of Instagram Kevin Systrom, as well as director Darren Aronofsky, Martha Stewart, Huffington Post Media Group President Arianna Huffington, Twitter co-founder Biz Stone, musician David Bowie, Internet co-creator Vint Cerf, Virgin Group Chairman Richard Branson, and R/GA Chairman and CEO Bob Greenberg.
Images in slider include:
1. Jackson Rathbone performs at Le New Morning on December 3, 2011 in Paris, France. (Photo by David Wolff – Patrick/WireImage)
2. (L-R) Musicians Ben Graupner, Jerad Anderson and M. Lawrence “Uncle Larry” Abrams of 100 Monkeys perform during the Live Performance By Third Eye Blind At Park City Live on January 25, 2012 in Park City, Utah. (Photo by Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for Park City Live)
3. (L-R) Musicians Ben Johnson, Jerad Anderson, “Uncle” Lawrence Abrams, Jackson Rathbone and Ben Graupner of 100 Monkeys pose backstage at House Of Blues on August 27, 2011 in Anaheim, California.