No divas here: Photographer says SI swimsuit edition models ‘best to work with’
With Kate Upton looking so glamorous last night at the Vanity Fair Oscar party (and being so gracious to her staff on Twitter), we thought we’d bring you some insight into what it’s like flying around with the models of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.
It’s worth mentioning that for the past several years, Contour by Getty Images has been the sole licensor of this celebrated special issue (including the cover). And for the past three, Getty Images photographer Michael Loccisano has been covering the events surrounding the launch – from flying to fabulous Las Vegas with the models, to the days (and nights) spent promoting the issue.
We asked Loccisano what he’s learned traveling on such an exciting assignment, and this is what he had to say:
- Pack light: The first year he covered the events, Loccisano’s duffel bag was stolen en route to the airport. Suffice it to say, he traveled really light (no fun starting an assignment having to emergency shop at the Las Vegas Gap). The second year, he totally over packed. This year, he finally got things right – gear and all – without letting his luggage weigh him down.
- The models involved in the Swimsuit Edition are a contradiction to all negative “model” stereotypes: “These women are down-to-earth, professional, top-tier models, and the best to work with.”
- Pace yourself: “Las Vegas is a wild city, but you can’t let that get you carried away. [Covering these events] is a lot of work, and you really need to be on your game the whole time.”
- His friends and family ask if they can be his assistant: “Yes, I’m flying around with some of the most beautiful women in the world, and it’s great to be around them. But we’re all professionals … it’s not exactly what some people would like to imagine.”
- It’s an opportunity and an assignment he really cherishes: “It’s a great thing to be a part of and I’m really grateful for the whole thing. The SI team is wonderful to work with.”
Editor’s note: Michael Loccisano is a longtime entertainment photographer and — like Sports Illustrated models — one of the most down-to-earth people you’ll ever meet. Since he’s not on Twitter (yet!) you can find him behind the lens at the most exciting entertainment events or behind the grill at the Eddie Adams workshop, an organization he supports.
Images in slider:
1. LAS VEGAS, NV – FEBRUARY 16: Guillermo Rodriguez and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover model Kate Upton arrive at Club SI Swimsuit hosted by the Pure Nightclub at Caesars Palace at the Pure Nightclub at Caesars Palace on February 16, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for Sports Illustrated)
2. NEW YORK, NY – FEBRUARY 14: Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover model Kate Upton on board the 2012 SI Swimsuit Models New York To Las Vegas Flight on February 14, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for Sports Illustrated)
3. LAS VEGAS, NV – FEBRUARY 15: Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover model Kate Upton and SI swimsuit model Irina Shayk attend SI Swimsuit On Location hosted by Haze Nightclub at the Aria Resort & Casino at CityCenter on February 15, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for Sports Illustrated)